Sunday, January 13, 2008

In the beginning...

Last week my son came over for a drink and some conversation. We usually have deep conversations about life, politics or religion. We are of about the same persuasion however we do not always agree; which keeps it interesting. Often we recommend books to each other and exchange ideas about those we read.

Some time ago he recommended Karen Armstrong's work. He brought it up again and this time I heeded the call. Off to the library for new supply of reading material.

I completed the first of the three books I obtained: In the beginning. In all fairness I think I did read this months ago but I certainly did not get out of it what I did this time. I am following up with A Short History of Myth by the same author.

I remember a book club discussion of Joseph Campbell's Hero of a Thousand Faces which was my first exposure to the idea that the christian story was not original. The book of Genesis, as interpreted by Karen Armstrong gives me a new look at those stories and the impact they have had on civilization.

1 comment:

tina FCD said...

I love the library. I might look up those books.