Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Celebrating Christmas

I received this by email this morning from a very fundamental Christian.

Twas the month before Christmas*
*When all through our land,*
*Not a Christian was praying*
*Nor taking a stand.*
*See the PC Police had taken away,*
*The reason for Christmas - no one could say.*
*The children were told by their schools not to sing,*
*About Shepherds and Wise Men and Angels and things.*
*It might hurt people's feelings, the teachers would say*
* December 25th is just a "Holiday".*

*Yet the shoppers were ready with cash, checks and credit*
*Pushing folks down to the floor just to get it!*
*CDs from Madonna, an X BOX, an I-pod*
*Something was changing, something quite odd! *
*Retailers promoted Ramadan and Kwanzaa*
*In hopes to sell books by Franken & Fonda.*
*As Targets were hanging their trees upside down*
* At Lowe's the word Christmas - was no where to be found.*
*At K-Mart and Staples and Penny's and Sears*
*You won't hear the word Christmas; it won't touch your ears.*

*Inclusive, sensitive, Di-ver-si-ty*
*Are words that were used to intimidate me.*
*Now Daschle, Now Darden, Now Sharpton, Wolf Blitzen*
*On Boxer, on Rather, on Kerry, on Clinton!*
*At the top of the Senate, there arose such a clatter*
*To eliminate Jesus, in all public matter.*
*And we spoke not a word, as they took away our faith*
; * Forbidden to speak of salvation and grace*

*The true Gift of Christmas was exchanged and discarded*
*The reason for the season, stopped before it started.*
*So as you celebrate "Winter Break" under your "Dream
Tree"*
*Sipping your Starbucks, listen to me.*
*Choose your words carefully, choose what you say*

*Shout MERRY CHRISTMAS,
not Happy Holiday!*


I guess I will probably still say Merry Christmas but not for the reasons implied in this little ditty. Christmas is a family holiday for me. It has nothing to do with religion or Jesus; just family. We get together and celebrate being together, we give and receive because we love each other. Some of my family pray, some do not. It really doesn’t matter what we believe during our brief respite from the work-a-day existence many of us live.

However, my reason for this post is to ask: Just how many Christians realize that the celebration comes from pagan rituals? Do they know that many of the modern church rituals were lifted directly from pagan rites?

I guess not.

Pagan Roots

12 comments:

tina FCD said...

I tell you what, I better not get this because the sender will not like me afterwards. I get so tired of religious e-mails, especially when they know I'm an atheist.

rick b said...

I understand Christmas has Pagan orgins. As a matter of fact I do not really do much with Christmas, I do not excange gifts or buy a tree, but it has nothing to do with what I believe as a Christian.

I think the tree is a waste of money and a pain to clean up. As far as gifts, if I need something I will buy it, my parents buy my kids toys, but I do not. I live pay check to pay check and have no money for gifts. But the kids get tons of stuff from the parents. Rick b

BEAST FCD said...

Christmas: Just another excuse to lay and get laid.

Beast

rick b said...

Beast, if you only get laid on day a year, thats really sad. I get laid as often as I want, and it helps to be married to a women who enjoys sex as much as I do.

Tina, here is a non religious thought for you. JESUS LOVES YOU AND DIED FOR YOU AND THEIR IS NOTHING YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT.

their, a message from a guy that hate's religion as much as you do. Rick b

Interested said...

Tina: I know how you feel. Sometimes I just want to shout at these people who keep sending me this stuff...but I am trying to be cival.

Beast: Congratulations! It's almost here. :o)

Rick: Somtimes I doubt that you are as much a believer as you profess to be. Just my take.

rick b said...

Rick: Somtimes I doubt that you are as much a believer as you profess to be. Just my take.

Why? Because I do not let people walk all over me, and sit back while people trash talk what I believe and not say anything.

I think you need to read your bible, their is plenty of trash talking from Believers to non believers and pagans and lots of sarcasm. Rick b

Interested said...

Rick you are right about the bible, it is the vilest book I've ever read.

rick b said...

I did not say the bible was vile, I said the bible tells it like it is, but I guess if you find the truth vile, then when you end up in the lake of fire you will belong their. Rick b

BEAST FCD said...

Rick:

Getting laid on Christmas doesn't mean I don't get laid all year round. Its like having turkey on Christmas and not having turkey in January. It doesn't mean I don't eat though!

As for the bible being "truth", you might want to go through the tons of writings I have on my blog, whereby I exposed all the "truths" about the bible, the funniest being the nonsense about Noah's Ark.

Beast

rick b said...

As far as getting laid, I dont care if you do or not, I was just pokin fun with that. As to the problems you find it the Bible, they really are not problems, you just refuse the truth and no matter what your told you will reject it until you die. But the Bible does tell us, broad is the way to death and many go their. Rick b

BEAST FCD said...

Lol Rick. This is lame, even coming from you.

Don't you have something else to say? Like "There are a lot of pretty blondes in hell!"? At least I might feel a sense of euphoria, albeit for a nanosecond!

Beast

Rita said...

To answer your question I think most Christians get all their info from the pulpit or Christian literature. When I was a Christian I don't recall ever hearing any thing about Pagan rituals.

I hate those religious e-mails, too.